Tuesday 27 July 2010

Eggless Carrot Cake

Thank you for all your wonderful wishes on our 6th blog anniversary. We're very happy to celebrate this milestone indeed for all the exciting things that have came our way this year. Hopefully the coming year will be fun filled but yet informative as well.

I'm very happy to announce that I've received lots of great ideas for this year's Merdeka Open House. Just give me a little time to pick out a few suggestions and set it up as a poll. Perhaps I might just throw in something for the person whose suggestion got picked :D Hang on there!!! In the meantime, here's something healthy to drool over.

Eggless Carrot Cake

I've made this cake upon the request from my colleague who is a vegetarian. She can't take eggs but dairy is fine with her. It's my first time using this recipe that I've jotted down in my notebook. This is a very moist and dense cake, tastewise it was not too bad but you might want to stick to 150g of sugar as 120g might be a bit bland for most of you. A bit of tweaking is necessary as I find 35 - 40 minutes is not enough to cook through the cake. This cake is still damp in the centre, I reckon another 10 - 15 minutes will correct that. This recipe need another try in my kitchen.

Eggless Carrot Cake

(A)
200g soft flour
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I've also added 1/2 mixed spice)

(B)
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tbsp lemon juice

150g mixed nuts (I've used walnut and almonds)
140g brown sugar (I've cut down to 120g)
1/4 cup corn oil
200g carrots, peeled and grated

1. Grease 10 x 25 cm rectangular baking pan and line base with grease paper (my pan was 8"x8").

2. Sift (A) together into a bowl.

3. In another bowl, mix together (B). Whip in sugar and oil. Add in carrots and nuts.

4. Mix in flour mixture with wooden spoon. Spatula works for me too.

5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven 180C for 35 - 40 minutes. For my oven, I would need another 10 - 15 minutes so this will depends on the kinks of your oven.

13 comments:

  1. gosh, a life without eggs seems kinda healthy but i'm not sure i'd be very happy if i had to avoid salted egg yolk-coated crabs, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, etc! not to mention everything else that uses eggs as an invisible ingredient...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this look gd :). Carrot cake in my baking list too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. carrot cake without egg? That's great for those who can't consume egg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean, which is why I cant go eggless cos I love my eggs too much :D

    Jess, hopes this recipe works for you

    Selba, yeah it's suitable for vegetarian

    Leo, one day ok :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, will wait for the this year's theme.
    I hope it's not too late to wish you happy 6th blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wah very healthy carrot cake indeed....like to eat it when it is hot.

    yeah, when my son create the mess ... also play together with him and until my whole house doesnt look like a house...tough part is the cleaning part...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never, Little Inbox. Thanks :D

    Vialentino, hot is nice cos very hiong! Create mess, clean up mess then repeat. That's life with kids :D fun hor

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know if the carrot cake I have eaten(baked by my sis-in-law) has eggs in it or not?! hahahha....

    ReplyDelete
  9. actually, i tried one wid eggs a week later and they tasted the same hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovee carrot cake! adding chocolate isn't bad too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes rita, i've done it with choc chips :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. would love to try a piece of these :) looks interesting and something i may like !!!


    have a fabulous day!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012