Tuesday 13 October 2009

Review: KTZ @ Kepong Baru

**Non-Halal**

Strange that I never wrote about KTZ (kei tuck sek in Cantonese or also known as Fruitti Stall) all these while as I've been visiting here since errmmm I can't even remember, perhaps since their opening :p

KTZ Kepong

Their first branch in Kepong Baru remained my favourite even though they have air-cond locations. Somehow nothing beats the fume and dust from the main road and the heat under the zinc roof to enjoy snacks and desserts here heh! Another plus point is the snack counter where all their available snacks are on display and all you need to do is point at what you want. The snacks will be fried and presented to you later on. This really beat reading off the menu! Visual treats can be rather devasting to the waistlines hehe... a lot of times we tend to eat with our eyes :p We used to come here for breakfast but nowadays they open late in the afternoon and closes late. A stone throw from here is where One Noodle located.

KTZ Kepong snacks counter - take yr pick here

This visit we did not order any deep fried snacks since it was quite late. Just needed a bite since we did not have dinner. We just have a plate of chee cheung fun (rice noodle rolls) and steamed radish cake. I loved the chee cheung fun with button mushroom slices in between top with morsels of sesame seeds here. They're slippery smooth and sauces are served on the side separately on sauce plates.

CCF

Radish cake is rather plain but there are large chunks of radish in there with hints of dried shrimps. This cake is served as the same sauces as chee cheung fun. The chilli sauce goes rather well here.

Radish Cake

Each time I'm here, I will have a bowl of Peanut Soup - without fail! Their consistency and quality seems to have maintained over the years. I liked the fragrant and creamy part without feeling too jelak (stuffed). Their tong shui (sweet soup) here are not sickly sweet, just nice for my tastebud. I remember there was once Capt'n Hook and I ermm when we were younger... we just ordered bowls after bowls of tong shui and in the end, I had 3 bowls stacked up on my side and he had 4 in one sitting!

Peanut Soup

The other hard to resist item is their Mango Lo... if they're doing it right, there will be a layer of mango puree with sago pearls at bottom followed by very fine shaved ice. Another layer of mango puree with sago pearls then top with a mound of shaved ice. Large chunk of sweet Philippines mango cubes are arranged around the bowl followed by a generous topping of mango puree and sago pearls. If you do not have this many layers when you scoop in, do ask them why hehe... They do have other fruit flavours like kiwi, strawberry, honeydew, red bean etc but I find the mango the best.

Mangolo

Can't find the receipt but if you squint hard, you might be able to see the prices here (click the pic to enlarge).

KTZ Kepong Menu Board

I'm ending this post with this photo... what do you think the staff are doing there???

Guess what is their staff doing


KTZ Kepong Baru
66 Jalan 7 (It's actually on Jalan Kepong Baru)
Kepong Baru,
52100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-6252 9451
Opening Hours: 4pm - 1am


Technorati Tags: +



14 comments:

  1. Is there a prize if can guess correctly? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, would you like a big kiss from me??? *chuckle*

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god! U mean that was how it started???

    I totally love those ole skool places! and desserts "liew" all laid out and ya hv to do is point point point!! Hehehe...

    The peanut paste looks so good..oh dear..I cannot tahan see desserts..will crave til I get some!
    Now..where is Kepong???

    ReplyDelete
  4. their food's nais! and i think even the ss2 branch shares the same quality. Peanut soup's a bit too rich for me tho, I love to have about half a bowl but can never really finish the whole thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Are you sure Cap'n Hook won't be jealous? I mean, we already went on a hot date together, and to top it up with a kiss??? Haha... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How to guess what those people are doing in the last photo, when I am drooling over all those delicious photos? Sigh.. I miss Malaysia :) And my mom's cooking!

    http://kirantarun.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is like the old dame of all makan institutions in kepong! i remember the hype when it first opened back in the early 90s (or late 80s?). looking at the crowd, ktz is here to stay for many, many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so this is the original one.
    still rmbr the hype bout KTZ, in SS2, and subsequently in the malls.

    only like the desserts, not so much for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TNG, bring out yr GPS!

    KY, kepong better cos no walls... very nice and breezy with cars, buses, lorries whizzing pass hahaha

    J, nah he wont :D

    poor kiran but being overseas and cravings with local food, i guess you'll hv to work hard to make them yourself huh?

    yalor nic, i oso cannot recall if its late 80s or early 90s

    J2kfm, haha yeah they do have their humble beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. where about is this place? near the Carrefour Kepong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. jace, it's in Kepong Baru... near the wai sek square

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are killing me here with the pic's and reviews. I have not had chee cheung fun and tong shui in 25 yrs.

    I used to reside in KL for 10 yrs. I am now living in Houston, Texas. I am lucky that there is one good Malaysian restaurant (Banana Leaf) in town right now.

    Nice blog! Got here from Rasa Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blogpost meets the requirement of our Blog4FT blogging contest. You can submit any post dated 5th October 2009 onwards and related to Federal Territories of Malaysia as your submission. Come join and win a Peugeot 308! Visit http://www.blog4ft.com/ or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blog4FT/130983666025

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Blackworld for the compliments

    Noted, blog

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012