Thursday 8 March 2007

Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce

I simply can't resist trying this recipe posted by boo_licous over at Masak-masak sometime back. She sang praises over this particular tomato sauce by Marcella Hazan and when I looked at the ingredients, wow... so few and so simple to resist especially when I had left a comment that I have one can of tomatoes sitting in my larder.

With just one can of Italian plum tomatoes, I halved the recipe and managed to get 2 portions of sauce for my boiboi's meal. For one portion, I chucked in diced potatoes and carrots, plus some chopped spinach. Pour the sauce over pasta and shave some parmesan cheese on top.

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce01

For the subsequent portion, I freeze the sauce for boiboi's dinner the next day. I boiled some carrot and potato strips to soften and cook them first before adding to the heated sauce. Top pasta with parmesan shaves.

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce02

Of course boiboi ate his dinner with gusto. The sauce is superb with a hint of butter taste and surprisingly good without any herbs added.

I still have a bit of sauce on hand, too little for another portion of pasta dinner. Hence, I slatter the sauce over a piece of toast. Next, layer with julienned carrots and cucumber before topping with some canned tuna salad. Voila, a quick and delicious lunch for the mummy!

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce03a Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce03b

Get the recipe here. Thanks boo_licious for sharing this jewel.

Technorati Tags: +

9 comments:

  1. Am glad boi boi and you love the sauce. It's my fav eat nowadays. So simple to make plus few ingredients. Have a good holiday in Penang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... looks good for pizza too!

    Looks like we'll be getting some Penang food soon! Have fun!!

    Babe, how come I cannot RSS feed you??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am hungry....at 2 am plus from looking at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks boo_licious, i think its going to be frantic rather than relaxing

    kat, i've no idea ler and you're not the only one not receiving my feeds. maybe i ought to upgrade my template sighhh

    wmw, why you and kat are up till so late huh? i totally understand how you feel when i did the same at such unGodly hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now u make me wanna make a big batch & freeze. Hopefully Sogo carries such cans of tomatoes. If not, d'u think normal ones will taste ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. bah, humbug.... i've made lunch plans, or i'd go home right now and try to make...droooolllllllll. yar, i've been meaning to ask boolicious the name of the author. marcella is boy or girl ah?

    ReplyDelete
  7. tummythoz, i think other brands also can. i've tried using fresh tomatoes and added some tomato paste, still can but the taste lacking a bit. have to add some sugar to balance the flavour.

    fbb, marcella is a woman. wow your mom so near to your opis one? so nice, like that can makan at home everyday haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babe,
    I love this sauce too. And I love the book. I think of her as an auntie hahahaha you know with remarks like *DON'T COVER THE PAN* it will change the colour of the sauce.... and such an easy thing to just throw in together and leave on the stove to mind its own business kan kan?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow lisa, like that i must go check out her book. i got the recipe via boo_licious's blog :p

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012