Wednesday 4 April 2012

Steamed Rice Noodle Parcels

My mother had made Rice Noodle Parcels for us when we were young. They are chee cheung fun sheets (flat rice noodles) filled with a yam bean (jicama/sengkuang)) fillings served with bean paste sauce and chilli sauce. It's my BoiBoi's favourite and every weekend he'll ask me to buy from a nearby coffee shop for breakfast but that particular stall made them into rolls (fun guen in Cantonese).

I liked it a lot too and when I eat them, I know it can't be that difficult to replicate at home. This is my first attempt, hence I did not measure the ingredients. I promised to do that the next round. I did not make the rice noodles since I can buy them from the wet market at the stalls that sells all sorts of noodles, assorted fish cakes, fish balls etc. So that saves a lot of time.

For the fillings, the rough portions would be 1 portion (1 medium sized) shredded yam bean (use a coarse grater), quarter portion of shredded carrot (use the same coarse grater for uniform size) and quarter portion of French beans, sliced thin diagonally. Normally only yam bean is used but I've added carrots and French beans for colour. I've also added a small handful of dried shrimps (omit this for vegetarian version), soaked and drained. 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely. Some oil, salt and white ground pepper.

To cook the fillings, heat about 2 - 3 tablespoons of oil in a wok (cos I find it's easier to stir the fillings in one). Fry the dried shrimp till fragrant before adding the garlic. Once garlic begins to brown, put in the yam beans and carrots. Stir to mix well. Once they begin to soften, add in about quarter cup of water. Cover with a lid and cook under low heat for about 5 minutes. Then stir and add in the French beans. Add in salt and white pepper to taste. If it's too dry, add a little more water. You may need to do this as you go on to achieve a dry mixture but yet the vegetables are soft. Stir and cover with lid. Cook until vegetables are softened.

If you noticed that your vegetables have softened but still very wet. Cook and keep stirring until mixture has dry up but yet retain a little moisture. Hehe sound complicated huh??? Just use your feel... the yam bean texture ought to be soft like popiah fillings but dry like ju hu char! Gosh I hope you got what I've meant hahaha...

Fillings

Once the vegetables are done, let it cool down. To assemble, on a clean surface, take a piece of the flat rice noodle sheet and unfold it gently. Spoon fillings into a thickish log towards one of the edge, fold the short end over and roll once towards the opposite end. Tuck in both the left and right end. Continue to roll till the end... just like folding a parcel. Ok ok I promise to make a step-by-step pics next time.

Otherwise, you can make things easier by placing the fillings in a long log throughout the entire length of the sheet and roll it up like a swiss roll.

Rolls ready for steaming

Next, place parcels on a heat proof plate and gently steam for about 6 - 8 minutes. I've used my electric steamer set at 10 minutes and felt that it's a little too hot that a couple of parcels burst. Next time, I should just reduce the timing.

You can serve the entire parcel on its own or sliced into halves with a drizzle of bean paste sauce (which you can buy from the same stall that sells the noodles, just need to add a little hot water to dilute the thick paste) and chilli sauce (I've used a blend of fresh red chillies, young ginger and garlic with loads of calamansi lime juice). Sprinkle with some deep fried shallots (but I did not have any on hand) and chopped spring onions.

Fun Guen (stuffed rice rolls)

Hope you got what I've meant and successfully replicate this easy peasy recipe. I know you can cos my friend (whom does not cook much) did just that the next day after showing her these 3 photos and simply by just telling her the ingredients with no instructions! Good luck!

Yes yes, I promised that I will measure my ingredients and do a step-by-step guide soon!!!



12 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if lazy to make, there's a lady that sells this in the mornings/lunch. she also sells good woon chai kou and woo tao kou

    just beside the meng kee fishball noodles at section 17 pj medan selera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious babe! If I can just go and just buy the rice sheet, then I would probably make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely prefer this than using popiah skin to wrap all the ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! THIS is my favorite too!!! :) My "Ah Mah" used to make this for me when I was Boi Boi's age. It has been ages since I have taken it. Don't think I am at the league to re-create this at home. I am still at the "only know how to fry one type of vege at the time" stage. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i miss this! a must have when my mom buys breakfast from the market.

    i doubt i will try making it, looks too hard and delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks healthy but tasty at the same time! hope the boi enjoyed eating your version too! then when he's an adult, he too can reminisce about how his mom made delicious rice rolls for him :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That certainly looks tasty! I wonder if I can just use my Chai Kueh filling for this? Should be ok, I guess. Will wait for your detailed recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's gorgeous! Looks simple but I has a lot of mommy's love in it! It's a bookmark to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're most welcome Emily

    Thanks Lanatir for the info, the rest pls take note!

    LCOM, hope you can get the rice noodle sheets

    ;-) Choi yen

    Celine, it's very very easy. Just wait till I cook up the next batch but not April cos I'm super busy this month :(

    Joe, if you can find premade rice noodle sheets, then it won't be a problem

    Sean, yup this is healthy! :)

    C&C, not look only ok hahaha

    Ping, am sure you can!

    Thanks Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wahahahaha...I so get what you mean about the texture lor. Looks good and easy enough to replicate!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012