Friday 27 May 2011

Steamed Pork with Egg

Steamed Pork with Salted Egg 01

Please excuse me with this pockmarked egg dish with deep river valley running through it. The dish got overheated! This is actually one of my childhood favourite - Steamed Pork with Egg.

I've actually forgotten about this dish until recently when I was at my parents' place, my mom made this for my BoiBoi albeit using chicken meat instead. So I've asked her how to go about it and here goes another guesstimation dish again...

Mix in some cornflour and grounded white pepper into minced pork or chicken. If you have a salty palate, you can add a dash of soy sauce. Set aside. In a bowl, crack in 2 eggs and 1 salted egg. If you really like salted egg yolk, you can add in one more salted egg, just the yolk and omit the whites. Mash the salted egg yolk a little then beat lightly taking care not to create foam. Otherwise the surface won't look pretty. Mix in the meat evenly and pour into a heatproof plate. Steam on low heat for about 10-12 mins.

As easy as that and the reason why mine turned out pockmarked was because I've used my electric steamer that don't allow me to control the heat. So I guess the next time, I cannot be so lazy then.

Steamed Pork with Salted Egg 02


13 comments:

  1. Hahaha... I like your comment about the "deep river valley"... We all get that sometimes when we cook at home. It's part of the appeal, yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can serve this with some bread and make it into a meat burger/sandwich! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Kenny yes but we tend to practice more then to make it perfect?

    Won't it be too soft as a burger filling Sean? I know this dish has all yr fave pork and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. isnt this more like steamed egg with pork?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can finish a big bowl of rice by this, ONLY this ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaahhhh.... sweet childhood memories ... I remember mushing this into my rice and my sibs going "EWW"!!... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe, it's a classic! goes well with rice or porridge..i love how u added in salted egg..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lanatir, any diff?

    Choi Yen ;-)

    Ping, I did the same too! yumyums

    Daphne, we always have salted egg inside this dish

    ReplyDelete
  9. It needs skill to make a smooth surface. I can only do it with just eggs. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone in my family love this dish and my mum makes it perfectly. I have yet achieve the same result as her even after she told me a thousand times how to steam the eggs. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LCOM, steamed egg is nice but sometimes my lazy boi need more protein in his meals so one dish can kau tim all :p

    Quay Po, LOL adui I think we have to practice till we perfect it eh???

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mum's version :

    do away with the pork and replaced by "pei tan" ie century egg aso
    veli nice !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this dish too and it needs to be cooked in very very low heat and the consistency becomes almost like a soft creamy custard. Great winter dish too!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012