Friday 20 May 2011

Simple Ways With Avocados

As promised, here are some items I did with the avocados presented to me during A Taste of Australian Avocado event. We were given some recipe booklets and I've gotten the ideas to prepare some snacks and salads. Do check out the wealth of recipes in Australian Avocado.

I did a Tuna and Avocado Sandwich which is so simple to assemble. I've buttered 2 slices of wholemeal bread before spreading some tuna spread on one slice. Next, slice up the avocados and place on top of the tuna spread. Sprinkle freshly grounded black pepper and place the other slice of bread over. As easy as 1-2-3. You could actually put on some cheese and grill this sandwich as well.

Tuna and Avocado Sandwich

Next, I've made an open sandwich of Eggs and Avocado. For one serving, just hard boil an egg. Once it's cooled down, cubed the egg. Then cubed up half an avocado. Mix the egg and avocado with some mayonnaise, I've used Japanese mayo for more eggy goodness. Season with some salt and black pepper to taste. Spread mixture on buttered bread or toast or even crackers. Crazy goodness here. Loved the creamy avocado combination with egg.

Egg and Avocado Sandwich

I've assembled this Grilled Chicken Salad which was great for a complete meal of its own. All I did was grill half a piece of chicken breast rubbed with some olive oil, salt and black pepper. Sliced chicken up after letting it to cool down for 10 minutes. Then I shred some carrot and Japanese cucumber with a vegetable peeler; cut tomato into wedges and slice up half an avocado. In a small bowl, whisk some extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a little whole grain mustard, seasoned with salt and black pepper till well blended. Toss all ingredients in a big bowl together with some lettuce. To serve, place salad on a bowl and topped with sliced chicken breast.

Grilled chicken salad with avocado

Another way of serving a salad of similar ingredients as above is to cubed them up and drizzle in extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasoned with salt and black pepper. Toss and serve. As easy as that.

Another version of Grilled chicken salad with avocado

So there you go on my lazy-woman way of serving up delicious and nutritious avocados.

11 comments:

  1. avocado also works well with a tiny pinch of salt, gives it a bit of flavour to the otherwise bland creamy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so avocados aren't just about salads - who knew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Joe ;-)

    Yeah Kenny. Attending such events are really educational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. avocados and eggs, two of my favorite ingredients in one recipe! it looks really delicious. i'm thinking poached egg with a runny yolk might also work well with avocado :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas all! I had this sandwich fr some sandwich shop made with the filling of sliced avocados, green apple slices, alfalfa sprouts and walnuts and of coz salt and pepper .... to die for! Gosh, now I need to go make some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all sounds nice. Hmmm, hard to decide which to start with ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean, runny yolk with creamy avocado, not jelak ka?

    Ping, sounds like a great combi!

    TasteHongKong, one day at a time perhaps ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uses for over-ripe avocadoes - blend in smoothies or as a sandwich spread, to replace butter/margarine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy and refreshing! Yes, I regained my energy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ;-) GFAD, you eat marmite ka? if yes, try spread some on bread/cracker then follow by avocado

    Thanks The Tame Lion

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love avocados in salads, but I haven't tried it with eggs. Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012