Thursday 17 March 2011

Guinness Stout Ice Cream

In conjunction with St. Patrick's Day today, I'm featuring this Guinness Stout Ice Cream that I've churned using my mini Kenwood ice cream maker. It's still work-in-progress as I need to fine tune the way to make the ice cream.

Guinness Ice Cream

As you can see from the picture, it has some icicles formed obviously I've not churn it long enough but seriously, not really my fault! It's the machine!!! I think it has been churning like more than 1.5 hours before stashing into the freezer but it's still not really fluffy and creamy :( I need an upgrade!

As for the recipe, I've used Alice Medrich's recipe from Pure Dessert. Since I can't find any heavy cream, I've used thickened cream instead. So clearly it's not as creamy as I would like it to be. I supposed the reason could be one need the custard to be really creamy as the Guinness would dilute the custard quite a fair bit. Flavour wise, it's not too sweet and the Guinness flavour is not strong enough. Hence need to work on this to improve the texture.

Guinness Stout Ice Cream
(adapted from Alice Medrich's recipe from Pure Dessert)

1 cup heavy cream (I've used thicken cream)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
1 can of 320ml Guinness stout

1. In a saucepan, combine the cream, sugar, and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks to break them up. Pour the hot cream mixture slowly over the egg yolks, tempering them by whisking constantly. 

3. Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and cook slowly over medium heat and stir constantly. The mixture will thicken and remove from the heat. 

4. Strain the custard to remove any bits of cooked egg into a separate clean bowl.

5. Mix the Guinness stout into the custard mixture. Refrigerate for at least 4 (preferably 12) hours before churning according to your ice cream machine.


8 comments:

  1. Ooh. Maybe try for a Bailey's ice cream? That should taste nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, yes yes but cannot use too much though cos it won't freeze up

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooo i wouldnt mind have this instead of the actual stout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks very appetizing, but i bet we'd have to eat A LOT of this if we want to get drunk :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome to me! I find the same for my machine too. I think it is because we dont add any preservatives? or that was what my manual says! LOL

    and u could also use milk to sub coconut milk or even full cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is definitely nice to have your own ice-cream maker, can experience with any flavor you like. Looks good in a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, ice cream and booze, no adults can resist eh?

    LOL I think so Sean :p

    Daphne, a chef mentioned to me most ice cream makers use some kind of stabilisers, I guess that's why huh?

    ;-) LCOM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh...recipe! I had a taste of this ice cream by the Last Polka and love it. Never liked Guinness stout on its own tho but this works! Unfortunately, i don't have an ice cream maker ... yet ...so will have to get my fix from the stores for now.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012