Wednesday 11 January 2006

Mini Cheese & Spinach Quiche

spinach and cheese quiche


I had always like to make this quiche as it's pretty easy to make and can be done in a jiffy. I first got the recipe from Her World magazine annual cookbook Volume 49. I tried searching for the year but it was not stated anywhere or maybe I could have missed it or got pasted over with the price tag. It could be dated back to 1995. Yeah, I've been collecting such mags because of the beautiful mouthwatering pictures since way back when I was a student and I don't even attend home science hahahaha... So I guess I was almost born a glutton!

Back to the quiche... the recipe is so simple and I've substituted the vegetable with whatever that I could think of such as mushrooms, brocolli, ham, sausages, meat, carrots and so forth. Those in the photo, I think have spinach and grated carrots. The recipe for shortcrust pastry was given but I don't have much time here to type them all in. I guess it can be easily searched using any search engine or just be like me, to save time - buy ready made frozen pastry. Here's the basic ingredient:

Mini Cheese & Spinach Quiche

300g shortcrust pastry
200g fresh spinach
1 tsp butter
salt and pepper
5 eggs, beaten
300ml milk
100g cheddar cheese, grated
100 gruyere cheese, grated

Roll out pastry. Using an 8cm plain cutter, cut out about 15 rounds. Use the rounds to line a patty tin.

To prepare filling, first wash and drain spinach. Chop into 3-inch lengths, then put into a saucepan together with 1 tsp butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occassionally until spinach wilts. Remove pan from heat and drain spinach, pressing out all the liquid.

In a bowl (I normally use a jug for ease of pouring), beat eggs and add cheese and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked spinach.

Spoon the custard and spinach filling into the prepared pastry cases and bake for 30 minutes or until puffy and golden. Serve hot or cold.

Happy trying!

7 comments:

  1. drooling just from reading the recipe... :-P

    (eh, and i think this one you -can- mail to me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. please please pleeeaaaaasee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. shafina, cannot lah hahaha contain eggs one, basi cepat :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babe - really respect you, lady! Working mum with one kid and can still whip up such delicious, pro-looking yummies.

    Don't tell me you're a one, slim, hot-looking mama as well even after enjoying all these goodies! This fat lady can't take itlah (wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kittycat, hahaha i can only bake on long weekends... ermmm i'm definitely not a hot mama kakakaka ROTFL... pretty plump and round kekekeke can't help it, i love to eat too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute! I must try this as I love mini stuff. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! I've made these twice now..wow! So amazingly delicious, alway a hit..thank you. I decided to bake them at 375F, but I would really like to know at what temperature you would suggest?
    Metta,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012