Wednesday 25 January 2006

Chinese New Year Cookout: Arab Cookies

Sorry guys, I've been super busy. I have two memes in my pocket, so gals, IOU first ok! I've loads of photos taken for the festive season but I did not have time to download and post them all!!!! Anyway, to cut things short (since it's close to 2am already!!!), this cookie which I first tasted at Kakak's Raya open house last year. Tasted super yummy as it really melts in your mouth. I managed to get the recipe from her and recreated for Chinese New Year this year. I've never been so hardworking and diligent all these while baking anything for the new year. Somehow, the simpleness of this recipe really got me in full swing and in da mood... Click on the pictures to view the enlarged version.


arab biscuit01 arab biscuit02


Arab Cookies (not sure how Arab came along in the name... anyone?)

Ingredients:
2 cups wheat flour (1 cup = 250ml)
¼ cup sugar,
measure volume, then blend to powder (use a dry miller, this eases the kneading)
Ghee (just enough to make into soft dough)
Milled castor sugar (for
coating the cookies after baking)

First mix flour, milled sugar, and ghee into soft dough, roll them into balls, about the size of a marble.

Place them unto ungreased cookie trays. Leave some gaps in between the cookies. Bake at 15 min at 150 deg C, or until the edges are very slightly brown.

Remove cookies and place then on a cooling rack. After cooling,
coat castor sugar to coat.



Thank you Kakak for the recipe ;-)

UPDATED 26 Jan 2006

I've missed out this picture of me kneading the dough. Boiboi took this using my camera phone.

kneading arab cookies1

AND for ghee (clarified butter), remember to use QBB brand. It's more fragrant!

3 comments:

  1. My mum bakes these for every Raya too. She takes orders for different types of biscuits. But this one (Biskut Arab), she reserves it for family consumption only (she doesn't take orders for this biscuit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Babe,

    Looks like you've got your hands "full" with CNY goodies! Wish I was doing some baking too...I love Arab cookies =) (some got peanuts in them ya?)

    Anyway, hope you can spare seminit to be tagged!!!

    ***Happy CNY to you and your family***

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry kittycat, me super busy lah, i can only do it when i'm free.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012