Friday 21 June 2013

Kiwifruit & Apple Breakfast Smoothie

A lot of times when you feel like having a quick breakfast but yet packing in loads of nutrients that can last through the entire morning, try this smoothie combination.

Kiwifruit & Apple Breakfast Smoothie

When you go through the steps, you'll notice that I blend the flaxseeds into powder like form. I've read somewhere (can't recall now) by using them in powder form, you will reap more fibre and nutrients from them as the smooth seeds may just pass out undigested. You may add in some yoghurt but I did not since I don't have any on hand :p If I have bananas on hand, I will add one in as well.


Kiwifruit & Apple Breakfast Smoothie
Serves 3 - 4

1 Tbsp flaxseeds
2 Tbsp rolled oats
3 green kiwifruits, peeled and sliced
3 medium sized apples, peeled and sliced
120 ml milk
3 Tbsp honey
1 cup ice

Place flaxseeds in a blender and blend flaxseeds* into almost powder like. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend till smooth and serve immediately. If you let it rest for a longer period, somehow the flaxseeds will turn the smoothie a little jellied which may not go down well for everybody.

* If you use them often, you can blend them in a larger batch in a spice mill into powder form and store in air tight container in the freezer compartment.

Personal Tips:

I usually freeze fruits that I would use in any smoothies. I would remove them for about 15 minutes from the freezer before using. This way, I do not need to use any ice, hence the smoothie pack more punch.

It's a great way to store excessive fruits that threatened to ripen in the freezer. To prepare, just need to peel and slice the fruits up before placing them in air tight container or even zip lock bags. If they're fruits that tend to oxidise, I will squeeze a little lemon juice over and toss.

2 comments:

  1. I agree- I like freezing some fruits as well. Never know what will come in handy. Especially frozen berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always over buy banana and freeze them. as a good base for my smoothie. banana, yogurt, chia/flex seed, and one fruits.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012