Monday 21 June 2010

Review: Rice Cafe

**Pork Free**


A day late here but better late than never. Wishing all the fathers here Happy Father's Day! Hope you guys did enjoyed yourself.

We have meant to try Rice Cafe after reading raving mentions in AWOL, FBB and etc. We did came by here one evening during their early days but they were closed. We didn't manage to check them out until quite recently. We used the back road via Lorong Maarof (from Rebung) to reach Bangsar, and we have to pass by this row of shop houses on the left. I saw that they were opened and I asked Capt'n Hook to park the car and have dinner here instead. Rice Cafe is just a few shops down HSBC Restaurant.

The restaurant was empty saved for the staff. We were told that they are mostly crowded during lunch hours. The place is simple but yet tastefully furnished. Thumbs up for them to keep the place neat and clean.

Rice Cafe

Both of us have asked for assam laksa but it was all sold out. The man (I presumed the manager or maybe the owner) who took our order recommended me Fried Glass Noodles (Tung Fun in Cantonese) and Capt'n Hook asked for Belacan Fried Rice or was it Kampung Fried Rice??? He then asked for a serving of Salted Yolk Chicken.

After not long, the wait staff came over and asked us what kind of chillies we would prefer. Wow, I'm impressed! So nice of them to asked hehe. We have the fresh red chillies and the pickled green chillies.

Rice Cafe condiments

When a claypot came and set upon me, I was confused. I had to asked the server what was it and he said Claypot Loh Shu Fun (RM8, a type of rice noodles). The Manager came over and I told him that I did not order this. He checked his chit and apologised. He told me that he had wrote down the order correctly but had verbally told the cook the wrong item. Not wanting the noodles go to waste, I told him it's all right, I'll have the claypot. This Claypot Loh Shu Fun is actually a special on the board and not in the menu. The version here is not the dark soy sauce version and it's on a soupy side, almost like Yoke Heng's version but the gravy not as eggy. Taste wise it was just all right with chicken slices and a couple of prawns, topped with deep fried dried shrimps and ikan bilis. If you want something plain, ask for this.

Claypot Loh Shue Fun (RM8)

Capt'n Hook's Fried Rice (RM8.50) arrived and he dug in. Found lots of squid, chicken slices and prawns. After a few bites, he asked me to try. He said it doesn't tasted like what he had ordered. We both suspected this could be seafood fried rice hahaha but we being nice people, we kept quiet and continue to enjoy the food.

Fried Rice (RM8.50)

Thank goodness the Salted Yolk Chicken (RM16) came as a winner!!! I guess our act of being nice were rewarded big time. The crispy deep fried chicken pieces are deliciously coated with a creamy layer of salted yolk with pieces of crispy curry leaves lending the fragrant flavour to this dish. We literally licked the plate clean!

Salted egg chicken (RM16)

Despite having 2 boo boos here I guess we'll still come back. Must come back to try their assam laksa one day! Oooo and their nasi dagang and nasi lemak too! We have 2 glassed of Chinese tea to wash down the grease (RM2 per glass). There's no Government tax yet and no service charge.


Rice Cafe
98 Lorong Maarof
Bangsar Park
59000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (+6010) 362 5188
Google Map

10 comments:

  1. You guys are the two nicest customers ever! And should reward yourselves with bowls of their lovely assam laksa the next time you visit, ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMmmmm - love the salted egg chicken there too!! :D

    Be careful about the assam laksa though - It's more sweet/sour than it is salty/sour... so it depends on your taste buds whether you will like it... Just trying to manage your expectations... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenny, but we were rewarded with the yummy chicken err albeit hv to pay for them though kekeke

    thanks for the heads up, J. maybe we shld order a bowl and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm... nasi dagang at Village Park (Uptown) is better compared to Rice Cafe... their version is not as authentic.
    Nasi lemak though.. is OK. Still I prefer Village Park's version (no I'm not biased but perhaps it's my taste bud)

    ReplyDelete
  5. got to try their fried chicken n assam laksa..havent been back for awhile though

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I would not like to kick up a fuss either. But informing them kindly on the blunders, so they won't repeat that loh ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Looks like they have new stuff on the menu since the last time I visited. Haven't been there in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I think the mistake of the manager is contagious, you wrote that your hubby ordered salted yolk prawns, but out came the salted yolk chicken. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. leo, hv to go Village Park early if i want nasi dagang :(

    noted joe

    J2Kfm, haha yeah

    LL, oh ok, I need to go try the assam laksa one day

    Oops my bad, I did? It was chicken actually LCOM, lemme go correct. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...a unique cafe name....the food looks yummy from ur pics.

    yeah, baby dylan is just too active sometimes....need to chase him around now...esp he crawls very fast now...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012