Tuesday 15 June 2010

Review: Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste

Time for a product review. This time Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste. I bought a packet of this after hearing my Malaysian friend who resides in Hong Kong raving of Tean's Gourmet ready made pastes. Can't remember how much but it's definitely less than RM5.

Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste Packet

I read the instructions twice cos I can't believed it was so simple to cook up a pot of curry chicken. Gone were the days where we need to pound away the herbs and spices, perfect for busy couples who rushes home to cook dinner for the brood. It says there just need to cook the paste with 1.5kg of chicken pieces and potatoes. Add water and simmer till cooked before adding coconut milk!!! Right there on the packet, it mentioned 15 minutes to cook the chicken curry.

Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste - Instructions

So instead of one whole chicken, I bought 3 pieces of chicken thigh, chopped and have the skin removed. I fried the paste first till a bit fragrant before adding the chicken pieces and potatoes. Stir a bit and added around 250ml water. I put on the lid and simmer on low heat for about 20 mins as my chicken pieces are larger in size. Poured in about 200ml fresh coconut milk (I've used this since it's my first time using this paste but next time I'll use yoghurt or evaporated milk). Once it come to a boil, I tasted the curry and it was perfect! No extra seasonings needed so I turned off the stove.

Served with rice or bread.

Chicken Curry made using Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste

My verdict of this paste is the curry turned out fantastic. A bit hot according to my colleague when I brought the leftover for lunch. It's so hard to believe such a great pot of curry chicken came out from an instant paste. My only complaint is the curry is pretty oily but all I did was just scoop out the reddish oil from the surface and it was good to go. Highly recommended especially those who resides overseas and now I understand why so many people rave about the paste. I guess it would be good to check out the rest of the range later on.

15 comments:

  1. Hehe, now only u try this? This has been my fave instant paste for ages! Good for days when u dont wanna go into too much trouble to cook curry! Try the others too - their Curry Laksa, Sambal, Prawn Noodles, Vegetables Curry etc - all pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PG, hehehe cos i hardly cook hot stuff. Capt'n Hook's stomach cant take it and my boiboi still under training!

    leo, can be found at neighbourhood mini markets, supermarkets and selected hypermarkets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, usually I also dread the idea of eating curry chicken made from ready-made paste, or worse, from the cans.

    But I'll take your word for it. Is this available readily in supermarkets everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Har mee paste. Even better than some of those hawker stalls, especially when I make prawn stock from roe-loaded big-head prawn!

    Do you think this curry paste will work for making karipap filling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yeah I used this brand here, over here it's called Delimas but it was from the same manufacturer. Thumb up from me as well. You should give the Hae mee a try too (prawn noodle). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dunno whether she still has that stall but there is a lady at the ss2 morning market that sells freshly made pastes for all sorts of curries. They helped me survive 2 years in Melb :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. something i need to pack in my bags to australia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. definitely make life easier for those working lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. J2Kfm, actually me too but since this was highly recommended by my friend so I gave it a try and was surprised it was very good. Yes you can find them in minimarts, supermarts and selected hypermarts

    GFAD, I think it's possible but need to tweak the amount of paste, water and santan.

    OOO thanks LCOM for the recommendation

    J, yeah there's one at TTDI market too but the thing is both also very far for me :p

    Yes Joe, definitely!!! It's also available there, google for their oz fan website

    ;-) Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think they should have your photo as there package cover!!! dont u agree?? it looks so much better than the one they have!

    jen from www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just imagining how good this would be with some crusty french loaves, drizzled with some thick, dark soy sauce. Yums! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha thanks Jen but its actually the lighting else the packet's pic look good too

    oooo Kenny, I ate some with focaccia bread :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes if I didnt used my usual A1 instant curry mixes, I'll used this one. I like their sambal goreng perencah too. Save me trouble to prepare everything from a-z and in the end, I'm the only one eating it. Convenience kan.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012