It have been quite a long while since we last pop by Pavilion Kuala Lumpur. As we got out of the car park, we are very near Level 1 which of course is the food haven floor. As we walk thru looking for the escalator, we chanced upon OMG! Ooh My Gas Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream.
The ice cream lover BoiBoi was scrutinising the posters and all, while Capt'n Hook and I checked out the row of Kitchen Aid mixers where each of them have some kind of piping which we have guessed must be where the liquid nitrogen would dispense.
Seeing that it's something new to him, we decided to let him try one small serving which is called a Cutie Cup. For a 5 oz serving at RM12.90, you get to pick the colour flavour (more on that later) and a topping.
There are 3 steps in ordering, the first being choosing your base of gelato, ice cream or soy milk (woohoo for those who are lactose intolerant). Next you pick your "colour flavour"which you'll see a range of flavours under nuts, fruits or classic followed by colour. Lastly, pick your toppings.
|Click to view a larger image|
BoiBoi chose an ice cream base with peanut butter flavour and no colour (I think I must have taught him well hehe for not eating colour enhanced food) with a topping of chocolate sauce. And so the server proceed by adding the concoction into the mixer's bowl. He then secure the bowl to the mixer and start beating the concoction. After a few beatings, we next saw "white smoke" billowing all over making it quite theatrical especially for children. Once done, the server scrape out the frozen concoction into a paper cup before topping with chocolate sauce.
|BoiBoi getting a dose of liquid nitrogen smoke which he said it's cold, of course|
We have a few bites and the verdict... Capt'n Hook just shrugged his shoulder, BoiBoi of course will say is nice, as for myself... the ice cream was smooth and melt quickly but the flavouring is just so so, nothing to shout about. I supposed it's such a novelty now for the young to watch such dramatic smog that billows from the bowl which ended up freezing the liquid concoction into a frozen delight.
As usual, when I write, I tend to search the internet to learn more about the product or ingredients used and came across a rather shocking read that liquid nitrogen nearly kill this teenager but luckily she was brought to the hospital on time. Seems that she drank a couple of cocktails that used liquid nitrogen which made the drink so cold that her stomach was damaged akin to frost bite. Her stomach has to be removed o.O The word of warning would be please ensure the nitrogen has fully evaporated before downing the drinks or whatever, I guess ice cream included!!! So be warned ;-)
OMG! Ooh My Gas Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream
Level 1, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
No. 168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia