Friday 30 October 2009

Prawn and Chicken Pomelo Salad

Dad went on a trip to Penang with his qigong clique, they stopped by Ipoh and someone in the group, a datin if not mistaken, gave each of them 2 Tambun pomelos each. Mom gave me one and since there are 2 of us in the house who eat this, so I decided to make a light lunch out of it.

Prawn and Chicken Pomelo Salad

This is my simple version of Prawn and Chicken Pomelo Salad, seasoning to be adjusted according to taste. I broke apart about 4 segments of pomelo (this one is surprisingly very sweet) and kept in the fridge. Then I steamed a piece of butterflied chicken breast and some shelled prawn on separate plates in my electric steamer. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it using fingers into thin strips. Chuck chicken and prawns into the pomelo and return to fridge.

For the dressing, muddle these together in a mortar and pestle:

zest of 2 limes and juice from 3
2 tsp caster sugar
1 chopped red chilli (can sub with chilli padi)
1 stalk finely sliced lemongrass
1 stalk finely sliced bunga kantan (Torch Ginger Flower)
about 3 tbsp fish sauce


Pour the dressing (remember to adjust the fish sauce, sugar and lime juice according to your taste) into the pomelo mixture. Sprinkle in chopped spring onion and mix well. It would be great with some chopped coriander leaves but since Capt'n Hook doesn't like them so I omitted. Actually some chopped peanuts or cashew nuts would bring this salad to a greater height.


Easy peasy... almost as good as the one at Rama V that I had with Miss Sweet 16 ;-)



Technorati Tags: + +

11 comments:

  1. i had my first pomelo salad at a thai restaurant, and it tasted really nice! i think i can DIY this at home too :D thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. visually pleasing-if you have the chance get the red sourish variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love pomelo and any salad featuring this wondrous fruit is ace in my books! Where does one get pomelo in KL??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must get wifey to try this later this year :-)

    That photo of the salad is drooooooooolicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really enjoy eating pomelo until recently. Matched with prawns? very creative :) yumyum.
    Nice meeting you on Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wa, rama v can chaplap oredi.. Hehe.. Cant w8 2cya ths wkd! Makan2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oo this looks extremely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow wow wow...i feel healthy by just looking at it...and very refreshed hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you'll like it Sloppy

    foodbin, how to pick?

    minchow, can find them at err fruit stalls usually at main road of housing estate. sometimes wet market has them too.

    Poor Jules, have to wait till year end?

    ;-) nice to meet you too Christine. btw the recipe is not invented by me, you can find them in thai restaurant

    C&C, so kwa chiong meh until Rama V can chup lup lol... yes this weekend we go kiu kai hahaha

    thanks KY & Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tambun pomelo and the salad is one of my fav too!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012