I've some remainder durian pulp from the Tropical Durian Cake, so I decided to make some choux pastry to turn them into Durian Cream Puffs. The texture of my previous attempted recipe wasn't fluffy and crispy, I went thru my books and found Donna Hay's Profiteroles recipe. I decided to use her recipe since most of her recipes have never failed me.
The pastry did came out nice and crispy. I halved them before placing the durian pulp as filling. I was too lazy to whip up any cream to be mixed with the durian. It turned out lovely but D24 or better quality durian would have otherwise made them perfect! BTW, there is an abundance of durians now and I've heard the prices for D24 and the good quality ones have dropped. Time for more durian?
1 cup water
100g butter, chopped
3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
melted dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Place water and butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook till butter is melted and mixture started to simmer. Add flour and beat with wooden spoon until smooth. Cook, stirring, over low heat until mixture leaves the side of the pan. Remove from heat and gradually beat in eggs. (You'll noticed your mixture looked shiny).
2. Place mixture into a piping bag. Pipe or drop 3 tsp of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick paper. (I've dropped in 1 heap tsp and the puff expanded to about 2 inches in diameter after baking).
3. Bake for 30 mins or until golden brown. Turn off the oven, keep the door slightly open using a wooden spoon and leave the profiteroles in the oven for 15 mins or until hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool on wire racks.
4. Place a creamy filling of your choice, such as whipped cream, creme patissiere or chocolate mousse in a piping bag. Push the nozzle thru the base of the profiteroles and squeeze in enough mixture to fill it up.
5. To finish, dip the top of the profiterole in melted chocolate or hot toffee and allow to set. Makes 30.
Ref: Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2, pg 46
If I've tantalised you and you need a quick fix of these Durian Cream Puffs, head on to Happy Meal...
Technorati Tags: durian + cream puff